Re: [docbook-apps] two-column problem

Hi,

> The bug is in XSL FO stylesheets, and, in my opinion, it should be
> fixed. If Antenna House demonstrates a non-compliant behaviour,
> it can be used in the corresponding customization level; but the
> base stylesheets should not rely on it.

The XSL-FO stylesheets should follow the XSL-FO specification, but they should also make it possible to span columns. As Bob points out, it should be very difficult with the current architecture of stylesheets.

Looking at the DocBook XSL stylesheets, this could be tough to implement. The stylesheets often nest fo:blocks as nested DocBook elements are processed. If a column span is requested in some nested element (like a table in a section in a chapter), then all pending blocks would have to be closed out, a new block started that is a direct child of the fo:flow, and then start over with the blocks that follow the table.

Or the stylesheet architecture would have to change
to a much flatter sequence of blocks that are direct
children of the fo:flow.

In any case, this means a lot of work and many changes to the XSL-FO-
stylesheets. I You need results fast, I would rely on a "broken" XSL-FO processor and include support for this "broken" processor in the parametrization of the stylesheets.

Lars
--
 Lars Trieloff <lars@trieloff.net>

/ Software Documentation Weblog German DocBook Tutorial \

| http://trieloff.net/docbook http://trieloff.net/tutorial |

| |

| KDocWrite revisited |

| <http://trieloff.net/docbook/archive/000354.html> |