[docbook-apps] pagelayout customisation

Hi,
I've been using the DocBook stylesheets to produce htmlhelp and the results
have been great.  Lately I've been using it to produce pdf and impressed
with its capabilities - especially in comparison to other applications that
require several processes to produce TOC's and page refeerences etc...

I would like to continue using these stylesheets but I have a few questions
relating to level in which the stylesheets can be customised from the
standard(?) page layout to produce my desired page layout, as depicted
below:

   --------------------               to             ---------------------
   Title                                                 Title
   texttexttexttexttext
texttexttext
   texttexttexttexttext
texttexttext
   texttexttexttexttext
texttexttext

Currently when I adjust the margins and indent the title the header rule
adjusts accordingly ie. it adjusts in accordance with the width of the body
text.

I am also concerned about page breaks.  I currently have set page breaks at
a specified section level but I still get section titles appearing at the
bottom of the page.  Does this mean I need to force the break with a PI?

I also want to add top/bottom space between an imageobject and text but have
been unable to determine how?

Any advice would be appreciated. cheers, Mark.