[docbook-apps] Table column sizes with xmlto/PassiveTex

I've run into what strikes me as a rather bizarre behavior when using "xmlto ps <file>.xml" to produce Postscript output from a DocBook file -- all table columns are the same width (about one inch). This causes really awful-looking output, as some columns are much too wide for the content they contain, and others are much too short. HTML renderers fit table column widths to the content, unless otherwise specified, and so does LaTeX, so I don't understand why PassiveTeX doesn't do this (assuming that it is to blame, and not some earlier stage of processing).

Is there any reasonably straightforward way to get table column widths to fit their content?