Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Support for callout extensions in xsltproc

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:36:24AM -0400, Jeff Beal wrote:
> I'll go ahead and file that.  If you need a large test-doc, I'll figure

  thanks

> something out.  Our doc is proprietary, so I can't just send it to you
> as-is, but I can run it through an XSLT transform to obfuscate the text.

  no, don't worry but indicate all the parameter and level of the
stylesheets used please.

> > > I should also point out that my doc set is abnormally huge.
> >  On my dual PIII
> > > 1.4 GHz machine, either processor takes almost five hours
> > to do a complete
> > > build.  We build 26 manuals simultaneously, which are about
> > 10,000 printed
> > > pages and about 6,000 HTML files.  There may just be something about
> > > scalability where Saxon wins out.
> >
> >   Yes in that case the Java load + warmup of the JIT is lost in the
> > time spent on processing. But for a 5hours processing my take is that
> > you're likely to swap like hell on the box, measuring purely the speed
> > of your I/O subsystem. I doubt the CPU load it 100% of the CPU (or
> > 2x50% depending on the scheduling and affinity processing of your OS
> > since you're wunning an SMP). 5 hours of a 1.4 GHZ CPU is way too much
> > IMHO even for 6000 resulting files. I bet it's totally I/O bound, the
> > swap processing competing with the write I/O of the chunking code.
>
> It doesn't seem to be doing any processor scheduling with either xsltproc or
> saxon, but either of them will get full usage of a single processor for the
> duration of the build.  When I do two builds at once -- one for HTML Help,
> one for Oracle Help (JavaHelp variant) -- I get full usage out of both
> processors.

  okay, surprizing :-)
That mean I don't need a very large test to do the profiling, profiling
on a "normal sized" document but with chunking enabled should be sufficient.
I don't think I ever tried to really profile the HTML serialization too
my main path is XML in/XML out maybe there is something going on there.
I assume you serialize to HTML, not XHTML, right ?

> >   Definitely not "common usage" ... :-)
>
> Absolutely not.  That's why I hadn't bothered complaining about performance
> in the past.  (I'm still not complaining.  I build overnight.  It gives my
> computer something to do while I'm gone.)

  yeah, but still ... if I there is a problem I can pinpoint, everybody
may benefit from it and some people use libxslt for on-the-fly transformation
on GUI.

Daniel