Re: [docbook-apps] admon graphics: GIF vs PNG

Le jeu 21/08/2003 à 07:04, Mike Mueller a écrit :
> I am using openjade on sgml source on a Debian stable system.
>
> The admon graphics won't come out unless I use .gif graphics.  GIF is bad,
> PNG is good, correct?  Patent issues and what-not.
>
> Googling tells me that there is some way to change DSSSL to override the .gif
> extensions for admons
> (http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-customizingthedssslstylesheets.html,
> search page for "override").  Most of what I am reading on the web is over my
> head.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. I've got admons working with .gifs.  Should I just move on or should I
> work to rid my docs of .gifs?  What's the right thing to do?
>
> 2. If I should use the .pngs, then is there a recipe for modifying the DSSSL?

You must tell your customization layer to use ".png" as admonition
grapics extensions:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/dsssl/current/doc/html/admon-graphic.html

I wonder btw why there is no admon.graphics.extension parameter as in
XSL.

> 3. If .gifs are bad then why no .png equivalents in the
> docbook-dsssl-1.77/images directory?  And why is the default admon image
> format GIF?
>
> 4. Do xml tools handle the .png admons out-of-the-box?

It looks like indeed.

> 5. Are .png files for admons and callouts available or do they have to be
> converted using gimp for example?

They are available.

> 6. OT: Is it socially acceptable to be using openjade and sgml these days?

Sure. Though general tredn show people prefer using XSL for HTML
conversion.

> I appreciate any and all help or opinions. Thanks.

Hope that helps,

camille.