[docbook-apps] Newbie: How to divide a book to chapters?

I am sure this is a very simple one, but couldn't figure out
so far...

I want to maintain the chapters of a book in different
xml files. So I have a master book.xml (simplified):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="DOCBOOK.CSS" type="text/css"?>
<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "Docbookx.dtd"
[<!ENTITY chapter1 SYSTEM "chapter1.xml">]>
<book>
&chapter1;
</book>

And the chapter1.xml:

<chapter>...</chapter>

When I open book.xml with MorphonXml editor, it loads
book.xml and chapter1.xml, shows them in one tree view...
excellent...

I use Morphon because, using docbook.dtd and docbook.css, it
gives you proper tag choices and formats the document as you
type. Awesome bonus for a docbook newbie.

Now the problem: Naturally I want to load only chapter1.xml
to the editor, not the whole book. In order to benefit
Morphon's goodies though, I still have to say it that I am
using docbook.dtd and docbook.css. So I put these lines to
the top of chapter1.xml:

<?xml-stylesheet href="DOCBOOK.CSS" type="text/css"?>
<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "Docbookx.dtd"

And that gives two kinds of errors: 1- chapter1.xml is not
valid because the root element of docbook must be "<book>"
2- book.xml is not valid because chapter1.xml is inserted
into book.xml with the lines above. And you can't have a dtd
declaration in the middle of an xml file...

So how do you guys do this stuff? Please don't say use
emacs/vi... ;)

Thanks in advance.