RE: [docbook-apps] Chapter boiler plate text, xslt stylesheets.

Numbering happens in the 'label.markup' mode and the templates that control
that are contained in common/labels.xsl.  The template matching 'section'
can be modified as follows:

(at end of template)

  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="@label">
      <xsl:value-of select="@label"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="$label != 0">
      <!-- add appropriate 'from' attribute to number this from the book -->
      <xsl:number count="section" from="book"/>
    </xsl:when>
  </xsl:choose>

You will probably have to dig through some of the other code in this
template to be sure that everything is taken care of, but this should get
you started.

Jeff