Re: [docbook-apps] using absolute hrefs with "xi:include"

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:42:21PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   at the moment, i'm in the midst of writing a number of linux-related
> manuals with docbook, and i'm using xi:include extensively to create
> modular docbook files so that i can cut and paste sections/modules
> as i see fit.  the "top-level" manual files (the books) all live in
> same directory, inside of which there is also a modules/ directory with
> more files and subdirectories so that, in each main manual file, there's
> pretty much nothing but a bunch of xi:include's to pull in the appropriate
> chapters and sections from those subdirectories.B
>
>   the problem is that the xi:include href's are relative to the including
> docbook file which, most of the time, would be really convenient.  but it
> might be that, as i'm constructing one manual and i've xi:include'd down
> to a directory, i'd like to "back up" as it were, to a higher directory
> level and grab something from a different subdirectory.
>
>   perhaps i'm missing something that would solve my problem, but it seems
> that it's easy to keep xi:include'ing as long as i'm moving further and
> further into subdirectories, but it's much harder to refer back up the
> directory structure.
>
>   i do notice that i can combine xinclude's and XML catalogs, and i
> suspect that might be the obvious solution, yes?  unless someone has
> other ideas.

Well, Xinclude hrefs work with ../ to move up, so I
don't see why that is much harder to do.

But using an XML catalog provides the most flexibility
in locating files.  Your Xinclude hrefs don't have to
relate at all to the file locations, as long as
the XML catalog maps them correctly.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com