Re: [docbook-apps] <literallayout> rendered with lots of internalwhitespace

Bob,

That makes sence. There is properly no ideal solution except introducing
an alignment attribute (with default inherit).

Regards,

Jens

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Bob Stayton wrote:

> I asked Norm about it, and this was his response:
>
> > The problem is that addresses are verbatim, but if you put an address
> > on a titlepage in a centered block, you don't want the fact that it's
> > monospaced to make it left aligned.
> >
> > I haven't been able to think of any ideal solution.
>
> You can't assume that an address will want text-align="start".
> If you put that in the address template, then it will override
> that property on the outer block that is trying to
> center all the content.
>

> Bob Stayton                                 400 Encinal Street
> Publications Architect                      Santa Cruz, CA  95060
> Technical Publications                      voice: (831) 427-7796
> The SCO Group                               fax:   (831) 429-1887
>                                             email: bobs@sco.com
>

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:36:16AM +0200, Jens Stavnstrup wrote:
> > Bob,
> >
> > In the CVS (sept 18) I can see you added text-align="start" to the
> > literallayout template (in fo/verbatim.xsl)
> > when not monospaced. You should properly do the same thing for address,
> > which is currently inherits the justify attribute the same way, as
> > remarked by Robert.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jens
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Bob Stayton wrote:
> >

> > > I think this may be a bug in the attribute-set definitions.
> > > The 'verbatim.properties' attribute set does not set
> > > text-align="start", so FOP reverts to the inherited
> > > text-align="justify".  The 'monospace.verbatim.properties'
> > > attribute-set uses 'verbatim.properties' and adds
> > > text-align="start".
> > >
> > > This seems to have been done intentionally, but I'm not
> > > sure why.  I think all of the whitespace preserving
> > > properties should be in these attribute-sets.
> > > These would include:
> > >
> > > text-align='start'
> > > wrap-option='no-wrap'
> > > white-space-collapse='false'
> > > linefeed-treatment="preserve"
> > >
> > > I'll ask Norm about it.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Bob Stayton                                 400 Encinal Street
> > > Publications Architect                      Santa Cruz, CA  95060
> > > Technical Publications                      voice: (831) 427-7796
> > > The SCO Group                               fax:   (831) 429-1887
> > >                                             email: bobs@sco.com
> > >

> --
>
> Bob Stayton                                 400 Encinal Street
> Publications Architect                      Santa Cruz, CA  95060
> Technical Publications                      voice: (831) 427-7796
> The SCO Group                               fax:   (831) 429-1887
>                                             email: bobs@sco.com

Regards,

Jens

Jens Stavnstrup                            Phone :
Danish Defence Research Establishment         Voice : + 45 - 39 15 17 97
Ryvangs Alle 1 - P.O. Box 2715                Fax   : + 45 - 39 29 15 33
DK - 2100 Copenhagen O.                    E-Mail (Internet) :
Denmark                                       js@ddre.dk