Re: [docbook-apps] orderedlist with inheritnum problem

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:12:31PM +0100, Patrick Eisenacher wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I'm marking up my nested ordered lists like this:
>
> <orderedlist inheritnum="inherit" spacing="compact" numeration="arabic">
>
> Nevertheless I don't get the notation form of x.y.z in my html output,
> but only one arabic number. If I don't specify the numeration attribute,
> I get my single numerical numeration in different styles on the various
> list levels. It seems, the inheritnum attribute doesn't get evaluated.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this feature currently broken?
>
> I'm using XSL stylesheets v1.62.4 together with xsltproc.
>
> Using libxml 20511, libxslt 10033 and libexslt 722
> xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20511, libxslt 10033 and libexslt 722
> libxslt 10033 was compiled against libxml 20511
> libexslt 722 was compiled against libxml 20511

For HTML output, the XSL stylesheet does not generate
the numbers.  Orderedlists are rendered usng <ol> in HTML
output.  The <ol> element doesn't handle number inheritance
in nested lists using an attribute.  You will need to do
this using a CSS stylesheet.  See section 12.5 in the W3C
CSS2 spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

Then hope that the browsers support the CSS properties
you need.

For FO output, the inheritance is handled because
the XSL stylesheet generates the numbers.

If you can't rely on CSS formatting of the numbers,
then you will need to customize the orderedlist
template to output <dl> lists and generate the
numbers the way the fo version does.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com