[docbook-apps] forcing page breaks

I have a DocBook text that I process with xsltproc and fop: that calls
xerces and SAX2 in the way that my (Debian) system has been set up.
The PDF output has a flaw that I like to correct: a table header is put at
the bottom of a page, but the table itself is on the next page.  I want
the header to move to the next page too.
In the XSLT FAQ
(http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/styling/fo.html#d2475e55) it is
suggested to include the statement: <?dbfo break-before="page"?>

Q1: Is that supposed to go at the proper place in the DocBook text, or do
I need to insert it into the .fo file? (hint: make this explicit in the
FAQ).

I tried both, but neither seem to have any effect (not even an error
message).

I use Norman Walsh'es XSL stylesheet, and specify "--stringparam
fop.extensions 1" for xsltproc.

Q2: What else do I need to do to make the processing tools heed that
<?dbfo> statement?

Incidentally, in the .fo file the table header is in a <block>, which has
statements like: space-before-minimum="0.5em" , etc.  If I increase those
numbers I can move the line to the next page; but that is not the way
things are supposed to go.

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters