Re: [docbook-apps] Tools for DocBook authoring by non-hackers

At 07:52 14/01/2004, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
Hello,

I am interested to know what (Microsoft Windows-based) tools people
are using to allow non-hackers to author DocBook documents.  (By
non-hackers, I mean people who almost certainly have never used a
command line, and whose document authoring experience is probably
limited to Microsoft Word.)

Hi Paul. http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools may help.

I'm guessing you mean hand editing type authoring?

I have an upcoming Word->DocBook conversion project in which one of
the requirements will almost certainly be that my involvement is a
one-off, and I will need to leave an environment (probably just on a
single machine) where new documents can be authored, and the various
output formats can be generated, by office staff whose computing
skills are probably limited to Microsoft applications.  Training will
be possible, and there's not necessarily a requirement that the
application be completely hand-holding and WYSIWYG, but the command
lines and Makefiles that we are all comfortable with will be out of
the question, as will editing raw XML.

Word to docbook I'd suggest Upcast, but again the wiki http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookTools

To hide your command line stuff, look out for utility software that builds the commands and presents it all via a gui?

The solution does not need to be free, but it needs to be robust.  I
have a personal preference for XEP as the FO renderer, though if
people are successfully using some other more integrated solution, I
am willing to look at anything.

For a one off, XEP. Antenna House is sort of expensive. Fop and the java setup could produce problems if the docbook is anything like complex?

HTH DaveP