RE: [docbook-apps] how to print a pdf? - Resolved

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, David Cramer (Tech Pubs) wrote:

> I notice that the fop web site says fop has full support for eps
graphics with postscript output,
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#eps. You should be able generate
postscript from fop and then use ghostscript
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/> or Acrobat Distiller to create a pdf from
that or send the postscript directly to the printer. That's what we do
with XEP, which has a similar limitation (eps only with the ps backend).

> The fop page also says "PostScript devices (including GhostScript) will
render the EPS correctly." Make sure you can see the image when you view
the pdf with gsview?

True, `gv` will render the PDF with EPS correctly.  My problem is that I
do not have GhostScript on the system that has the printer.

Sean Wheller also wrote in a private communication:

> I have not been following the whole thread, but have you tried printing the
> PDF to PDF. The EPS should show then.
> It was mentioned on this list that you could also take PS into EPS, then
> to PDF and insert the PDF to PDF. I'm not sure if you still need to
> print PDF to PDF in this case.

`gv` will print PDF to PDF, but output identical to input: i.e. with EPS
which AcroRead does not understand.

However the suggestion to go through PS first proved most helpful:  I had
`fop` generate PS output, and then used `ps2pdf` to generate a proper PDF
file.  Now that one can be rendered by AcroRead, and printed.  The only
problem is that for some reason the PS rendering of JPG images is poorer
than in version that generates the PDF version directly.  The vector
images are excellent though in both versions.

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters