Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Converting docbook-xsl to website-xsl

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:02:54AM -0600, David Cramer (Tech Pubs) wrote:
> Just to be thorough, I thought I'd mention two other options for
> getting a book with a toc pane from docbook (assuming a Windows-only
> chm won't meet your needs).
>
> 1. Generate html help source from docbook and then open the .hhp file
> in RoboHELP (commercial, expensive IMO, widows only, no CLI) and
> generate Web Help. Web help has a toc pane, index, and search built
> in, but RoboHELP isn't cheap (and aside from Web Help, isn't very
> good).

Yeah I'm not sure that would work, this is for a Unix-only environment
:-)

> 2. Use a customization layer I experiemented with to generate chm
> source and a frameset that uses some java applet stuff that comes with
> the HTML Help workshop. This gives you a toc and index pane but no
> search. http://www.thingbag.net/docbook/applethelp-demo/ I suspect
> you'd have to do some work on the index generation code--currently it
> doesn't collapse duplicate entries. Here's the customization layer:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/docbook/contrib/xsl/applethelp/
> I had updated it recently to work with 1.64.1 of the docbook xsls.
> This doesn't require windows except to get the applet stuff from an
> installation of the HTML Help workshop (free).

To be honest, if you want collapsible menus it shouldn't be hard. Sure,
you're talking about a little javascript (which I know some don't like)
and CSS to do it dynamically, and then slightly tweaking the <div> tags
for the ToC.
If I can figure out how to do that I'll let you guys know. I'm an XML
newbie (really, I know almost nothing apart from the basic concepts).

> An any-browser help-like output that dosen't require eclipse,
> robohelp, or any applet stuff would be nice to have in the
> distribution. I think building in internationalized search for free
> would be tough.

Indeed would be nice. I'll do some thinking.