[docbook-apps] What is status of open-source XSLT to PDF ?

Hi,

Picking up Docbook XML from where I left off in 1999. At that
time there where issues relating to using DSSSL vs XSLT for
print quality PDFs.

Tried to determine from reviews and mail lists if the current
available open-source XSLT to PDF toolchains can produce prime-time
print ready PDF.

Getting conflicting opinions after reading the archives here, and the
following three URL's:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/FOprocessors.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO/x109.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO/sgml.html

Can someone address this question because I need to setup an open-source
tool chain to produce a book in print quality PDF (several hundred rendered
pages with text, tables, and images).

Along those same lines, can I avoid DSSSL (Jade, etc) and still produce
a suitable result?

Simply stated, what is the open-source toolchain that is known to work for
rendering print quality XML -> PDF ?

Thanks for any help on this question.

--
Jeff Franks