Re: [docbook-apps] Markup of news in Website?

Steinar,

RSS might meet your requirement. It's already integrated into DocBook
Website. Here bellow, I've written a step-by-step guide on how to call RSS
feeds using DocBook Website. You just need to replace your own phrases
instead of mine.

1. Prepare your RSS feed. Mine is written in RSS 1.0.

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
         xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/";
         xmlns:mn="http://usefulinc.com/rss/manifest/";
         xmlns:cvs="http://nwalsh.com/rdf/cvs#";
         xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";>

  <channel rdf:about='http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java/'>
    <link>http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java/</link>
    <description>Java applications that I have coded and made available
under the GNU General Public License (GPL).</description>
    <dc:language>en-us</dc:language>
    <dc:publisher>Javad K. Heshmati
(mailto:javad@khakbaz.com)</dc:publisher>
    <dc:rights>Copyright © 2004 Javad K. Heshmati</dc:rights>
    <items>
      <rdf:Seq>
        <rdf:li
rdf:resource='#http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java#invoicer-app'/>
        <rdf:li
rdf:resource='#http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java#viewer-applet'/>
      </rdf:Seq>
    </items>
  </channel>
  <item
rdf:about='#http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java#invoicer-app'>
    <title>Invoicer Application</title>

<link>http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/downloads/software/index.html#downloadSof
twareJava</link>
    <dc:date>2003-04-20</dc:date>
    <dc:subject>Java Application</dc:subject>
    <description>Invoicer Application is a Java based Invoice Management
tool. Why another Invoice Management tool when there are already others?
Because all of those tools that I tried had limitations that I couldn't live
with.</description>
  </item>
  <item
rdf:about='#http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/software/java#viewer-applet'>
      <title>Viewer Applet</title>

<link>http://www.khakbaz.com/javad/downloads/software/index.html#downloadSof
twareJava</link>
      <dc:date>2003-07-02</dc:date>
      <dc:subject>Java Applet</dc:subject>
      <description>Viewer Applet is a document navigator applet. Given a set
of documents in a directory, it enables you to navigate through the
documents. Namely you can view the next, previous, first, last and document
properties.</description>
    </item>
</rdf:RDF>

2. Prepare your webpage source. It might look like this one:

<!DOCTYPE webpage PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD Website V2.5.0//EN"

"http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/website/2.5.0/schema/dtd/website.dtd
">    [1]

<webpage id="rssJavaSoftware">
    <config param="desc" value="Java Resources RSS feed"/>
    <config param="rcsdate" value="$Date: 2004/04/10 02:57:14 $"/>
    <head>
        <summary>Java applications that I have coded and made available
under the GNU General Public License (GPL).</summary>
        <keywords>Java, RSS, Free Software</keywords>
    </head>
[2]
    <rss feed="1.0/java-software.xml"/>
[3]
    <webtoc/>
</webpage>

[1].    Your XML source DOCTYPE, which is DocBook Website 2.5.0.
[2].    These are elements you probably use in your own documents.
[3].    'rss' element will be processed by XSL. In fact, your RSS feed URI
should be placed in 'feed' attribute.

This XML source should also be included in your 'layout' file, like other
pages.

I suppose that RSS related XSL stylesheet  in Website 2.4.1 has a small
problem with 'rdf:resource' attribute. I don't know if it's fixed in current
release.

Sina