Re: [docbook-apps] Lot of doubts about formatting with xsltproc

On Wed, 12 May 2004, maurizio codogno wrote:

> (a) I would like to have my output coded in ISO-8859-1 rather than
> in UTF-8; it's not mandatory, since a remote page is loaded fine,
> but I am annoyed since I cannot see the file correctly on my local
> machine. Is it possible to do so?

If you want ISO-8859-1, then you'll want to write a custom wrapper
styelsheet. It'd be pretty simple:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet version='1.0'
                  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>

  <xsl:import href="/path/to/xhtml/docbook.xsl"/>

  <xsl:output method="xml"
     encoding="ISO-8859-1"
     indent="no"
     doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
     doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I don't know about getting a browser to interpret an file:// URL as
UTF-8, but if you're running something like Apache, then you can
specify a default charset:

  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

> (b) Another nuisance is that the output is a loooong line. Is there
> a way to have it split?

In the <xsl:output> tag above, change the indent attribute to "yes."

> (c) I don't want to see the standard text like "Sommario" and
> "Capitolo 1". Is there a way to modify the behaviour of the
> transformation filter?

You'll want to override the default templates or params, putting your
versions into the stylesheet above.

Whoops, work calling, can't get to the rest of your questions right
now. Sorry. :-/

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>