[docbook-apps] RTL in markup/docbook/??

Salam,

I am trying (helplessly) to figure out how to use DocBook/XML to produce
Arabic documentation. This is probably not the first time I approach
this issue, but I am going at it again.

At Arabeyes [1], we use DocBook/XML for all our documentation.
Unfortunately, for the Arabic documents we have two problems:

1. The HTML output is in LTR mode (should be in RTL)
2. None of the XSL-Fo's I know of (we use Apache's FOP [2]) can handle
   Arabic text (not the UTF-8 nor the bidi mode).

Currently, what we have been doing is adding a CSS that sets the
direction to rtl. This is not a good enough solution, since browsers are
instructed that they can happily ignore those in CSS [3]. It is noted
that this should be in the mark-up.

So, where in all of this do we go from here? I am completely lost!