Re: [docbook-apps] odd entities appearing in html output

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, René Haché wrote:

When I output my DocBook XML to HTML, I have a bunch of weird character entities cropping up in my HTML output. The capital letter "A" with circumflex appears in the document after the following: [....]
<xsl:output
method="html"
encoding="UTF-8"
indent="yes"
saxon:character-representation="native;decimal"/>

It's the encoding that's probably tripping you up. My hunch is that you're viewing the file via some framework that thinks the file is ISO-8859-X encoded.

If, for instance, you're viewing the file in a web browser, you might try forcing the character coding scheme to UTF-8 to see if that makes a difference.

If that's the case, then you'll need to figure how to tell your web server to set the correct Content-Type header, e.g.,

In Apache, you can do so with the AddDefaultCharset directive or, in many configurations, by giving your files a .utf8 suffix. I can't speak for other web servers.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>