Re: [docbook-apps] catalog trouble when command is put in a Makefile

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frans Englich"

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to docbook, so you have my apologies if I make obvious mistakes.

It's OK. I learn a lot myself from trying to spot what goes wrong.

> I (try) to use the attached Makefile, but running the check target fails with
> this error output:
> bash-2.05b$ make check
> xmllint --valid --noout kua1.xml
> Resolve: pubID -//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN sysID
> http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd
> Failed to parse catalog "catalog.xml"
> Resolve URI http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd
> kua1.xml:3: I/O error : failed to load HTTP resource
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd"; >
>                                                           ^
> kua1.xml:4: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
> <article  status="draft" >

Remove the quotes around "catalog.xml" in the makefile. I verified this on
Cygwin. Hopefully it works in your environment, too.

BTW, I also found that the DocBook 4.3 DTD is missing at the URI
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd (4.2 is OK).

> I have another question: the generated xhtml files are to be used on a website
> where each file also should have php code. I currently try to achieve this by
> simply putting the php processing instructions in the XSL files but xsltproc
> swallows them(naturally, I guess). I want the resulting html document to
> simply contain the <?php tags. How is this achieved, and is there some
> particular document to read about combining dynamic code nested in XML/XSL
> files?

Maybe this will help you:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/styling/custom.html#d1075e1385

/MJ