Re: [docbook-apps] Line breaks in para: literallayout unsuitable

Hi,

My understanding is that the idea of a "line-break" is more a "presentation"
concern, whereas the whole purpose of DocBook is one of structuring a
document in terms of "content". While the distinction may seem subtle, it is
rather important.

Thus, the better question might be, Is your desire for a "line-break"
critical to the content of your document, or is it a "presentation" concern
(i.e. - important only after using the stylesheets to create your
html/pdf/etc)? If it is critical to your content, then it might be better to
break the item into two <para> tags. Alternatively, you could try putting in
a "blank" <literllayout> in this fashion:
--------------------
<para>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Quisque sit
amet mauris ac sem condimentum elementum. Aenean nonummy pharetra dolor. Ut
consectetuer, felis eget adipiscing laoreet, enim lectus fringilla pede,
sagittis interdum libero dolor at dolor. Suspendisse ut magna vitae turpis
faucibus pharetra. Fusce id lorem. Etiam accumsan tempor ligula. Suspendisse
auctor elementum turpis.
<literallayout>
</literlalayout>
Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere
cubilia Curae; Proin dui mi, luctus vel, commodo a, pellentesque sit amet,
ante. Integer arcu. Proin accumsan, mi in consequat consequat, tellus justo
suscipit metus, quis malesuada libero augue a sapien. Donec wisi. Mauris
vitae enim. Fusce tortor. Curabitur viverra sapien ac libero. Integer elit
ante, cursus in, posuere malesuada, vehicula facilisis, erat. Pellentesque
habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis
egestas. Aliquam ultrices nisl et nibh.</para>
This should give you the "line-break" that you need. Again, however, it
appears that your need for a "line-break" is a presentation aspect rather
than an aspect of creating structured content.

I hope that helps!

- Dan Gilleland