Re: [docbook-apps] OT: How to translate DocBook documents into differentlanguages

Hello Markus,

thank you for your quick response!

Markus Schütz wrote:
The good news is that there are tools to accomplish your task, the bad news is that they are not open source, but commercial software.
The following ones have been proved to do the job well:
- Trados Tag Editor by Trados (www.trados.com),
- Transit by Star Transit (www.star-transit.com),

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any evaluation version of Trados/Transit for download.

- XLIFF Editor by Heartsome (www.heartsome.net) - which is the only Java-based and therefore platform-independent tool.

Thank you for this link. I've tried an evaluation version ("xlfedit-lite"). I was playing around with it for some hours.

Unfortunately, I can't find any tutorial on that program, so to a big extent, I had to guess how to use this program. There is a manual, but it is surely not written for absolute beginners like me.

It seems that this program might be very useful for me, although there are some points I'm worried about:

1) I use external entities like this

&chap1;
&chap2;
&chap3;
&appa;
&appb;
</book>

but XLIFF creates one big document from that. Ok, I could fix this by hand afterwards.

2) The editor expands all internal entity references. I do not know how to switch off this behaviour.

3) The editor treats some DocBook inline elements like <author> obviously as block elements. I do not know how to tell it the difference. Again, the manual is not very clear here.

Frankly speaking, I do not understand the handling of inline markup in the editor, nor its interaction with the underlying DTD.

4) The program sometimes crashes. :-)

Altogether, it seems that I'm just missing a good introductory text on how to use this program for producing a translation of a larger work.

Still another question: I need a good way to produce a pure txt-version of my DocBook document which can then be fed into a translation program.
Is there an easy way to do this? (OK, I could do some XSLT programming, but maybe someone has already come up with a solution.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Ziegler                       Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85
Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik    66123 Saarbrücken, Germany