RE: [docbook-apps] changed paths in java 1.4.2 when using xerces withsaxon

You're right--it is Sun's specific Xerces implementation, not the Java
version.

I got Xerces as part of Sun's Java API for XML Processing v. 1.2.6 (which
itself seems to be shipped only as part of the huge Java Web Services
Developer Pack 1.4). The version of Xerces appears to be 2.6.2.

According to the JAXP 1.2.6 Release Notes:

*** quoting ***
Xerces ( parser ) implementation version changed from 2.3.0 to 2.6.2 ( +
controlled bugfixes). This version include many bugfixes and performance
improvements. Also the packages contained in xercesImpl.jar have been
renamed. For example, the org.apache.xerces.* package is now called
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.* .
*** end quoting ***

I moved Xerces and the other jar files into the
J2SDK1.4.2_05/jre/lib/endorsed directory, so I guess I was thinking of these
files files as part of the new Java--rather than as part of Sun's JAXP.

Thanks for helping clarify this. And maybe this still will be helpful for
those who get Xerces from Sun.

Dave Nilsson

	 *** trimmed ***