[docbook-apps] Context Based Rules?

I'm looking at adding a few tags to docbook (or
altering existing ones) to match a content model I've
been given.  Some of the changes require a new element
to allow specific children based on it's context.  For
example, can rules dictate that a new element can
contain a mediaobject element unless the new element
is contained in a listitem?

<new_element>
<mediaobject>Mediaobject allowed here</mediaobject>
</new_element>

<itemizedlist>
<listitem>
<new_element>Mediaobject not allowed
here</new_element>
</listitem>
<itemizedlist>

I ask this because otherwise it will require us to
maintain separate doctypes for the information types
in our content model.  We're using Epic to edit our
content.

Has anyone done this, know if it can be done, or dealt
with a similar problem?  I appreciate the help.

Naomi