[docbook-apps] Apache modules for serving DocBook

I have a series of chapters (marked up with DocBook XML) stored in a mysql database. I would like them to be rendered as both HTML and pdf through a webpage. This is creating an online book.

What is the preferred / efficient method to automate this using apache ? Do I need to run an XSLT and XSLFO each time? I would prefer not to store the HTML and pdf, but create them on the fly if that is not to time consuming. Most chapters are about 2500 words of text, plus markup, which can be up to 50% more. Images are also present.

Cheers,

Tristan
Tristan J. Fiedler
Postdoctoral Fellow - Stein Lab