Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSL 1.67.0 released

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > Yes there is, though you may not agree with it. The reason is so
> > that when it get rendered, the "stuff you need to type in" shows
> > up more strongly than the "stuff that computer outputs" -- so
> > that you can easily distinguish between them. This is a convention
> > that's used in many books and is not unique to DocBook.
>
> But that is exactly what HTML's KBD means.  Quotation from the
> specification:
>
> KBD: Indicates text to be entered by the user.
>
> There is, in my mind, a one-to-one correspondence between userinput and
> KBD.  So when the browser designers chose the rendering KBD, they
> specifically (albeit possibly sloppily) chose the rendering for exactly
> "stuff you need to type in".  Whatever they chose should be the
> rendering for userinput.

I have no problem with making a change to have userinput be output
as as kbd. But it's still going to be wrapped in strong.

The reason is what I mentioned before -- it's a convention that
the stylesheets have been following as a convenience to users, so
that they are not forced to style it via CSS. A convention that
makes pretty good sense to me personally. And changing it now
breaks backward compatibility. And I have never seen a single bug
report or complaint on the list from anybody saying, "Please don't
have commands and userinput rendered in bold".

But if it were now changed to not render in bold by default, I
would bet you good money that there would be postings and bug
reports asking why it's not rendered in bold any more.