Re: [docbook-apps] Movie Format & Tagging

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tristan Fiedler" <fiedler@cshl.edu>
To: "docbook-apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Movie Format & Tagging

> Happy Holidays All!
>
> Regarding movies, a few docbook questions remain unanswered :
>
> 1.  I read a few recent docbook-apps archives, and wanted to see if
> this (below) is the best way to include a quicktime format movie.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4CR2//EN"
>
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4CR2/docbookx.dtd";
> [
> <!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| MOV">
> <!NOTATION MOV SYSTEM "MOV">
> <!ENTITY video1 SYSTEM
> "/Users/fiedler/Celegans_DocBook/Samples/Mosaics/test_quicktime.mov"
> NDATA MOV>
> <!ENTITY video1_url
> "file:///Users/fiedler/Celegans_DocBook/Samples/Mosaics/
> test_quicktime.mov/">
> ]>
> ..... article contents goes here ....
>
> <para>Below is a sample Quicktime movie.  Double click box to restart
> movie.</para>
>
> <mediaobject>
> <videoobject>
> <videodata entityref="video1"/>
> </videoobject>
> <textobject>
>
> <para>If you see this, the textobject is displayed with a local
> <ulink url="&video1_url;" role="_blank">movie link </ulink>
> </para>
> </textobject>
> </mediaobject>
>
> 1b.   when I use this code above, the <textobject> is displayed in HTML
> output (which is not what I want).  If I remove the
> <textobject>...</textobject>, then the HTML correctly plays the
> quicktime movie, but now my PDF output does not have anything at all?

You can designate which object is used for each output by using a role
attribute.  Put role="html" on the videoobject, and role="fo" on the
textobject.  See http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GraphicSelection.html
for details.

> 2.  Is it possible to keep the movie looping?

I don't know.

> 3.  Where can I find information on the types of image and movie
> formats supported by DocBook (MPEG, MPG, JPEG, JPG, AVI, etc) and the
> proper way to declare these as ENTITY's?

The DTD declares them in the dbnotnx.mod file.

> 4.  A related question I have is " Has anyone, such as Bob Stayton, put
> anything on the web such as a tutorial or FAQ regarding movies in
> docbook files?"

Not me.  8^)

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises