Re: [docbook-apps] Keeping elements together

Zbyszek Cybulski wrote:

I'm thinking of switching to DocBook from MS stuff for my technical documentation. This is one of the fundamental questions: what XSL-FO processor do I use? I am evaluating XML Mind XML Editor, they have XFC (converter) bundled with the professional edition of their editor. Is it as good as products you mentioned, Jirka?
I don't want to go for a toolchain one can build from pieces, I'd opt for an integrated solution (money isn't the issue). I want to have a professional quality output, PDF and (X)HTML.

XFC is not able to generate PDF output format. It can generate RTF or WordML. So if you want to get PDF you must use some other FO processor. My favorite is XEP, but XSL Formatter is comparable in all aspects. There are also other FO processors on the marked but XEP and XSL Formatter are two that have special support in stylesheets -- you will get metadata in your PDFs, indexes with merged pageranges, bookmarks, etc.

Jirka