Re: [docbook-apps] Writing Hebrew in docbook

Bob Stayton wrote:

Following up my own message, I should mention that when you use XEP or XSL
Formatter, you generally don't need to specify writing direction. Unicode
assigns writing directions for characters, so the Unicode characters for
Hebrew and Arabic are automatically set right-to-left by an XSL-FO processor
that can do it.

Hi Bob,

I need to specify the writing direction in order to get the paragraph aligned the right way.

Consider a Hebrew text that includes some English words versus an English text that includes some Hebrew words.

In the first case you will need to say that the paragraph "default direction" is right to left (words will go from right to left, first letter you type will appear rightmost, even if it's an english one), and in the latter you need to set it left to right (words go from left to right, first letter you write will appear leftmost).

What Unicode BiDi algorithm gives me is the ability to write the characters in Hebrew words the "logical" way without the need to reverse them, it does not correctly guess the paragraph direction, because it can't decide on paragraph direction for mixed paragraphs, that is why we use the HTML dir attribute to decide on a paragraph default direction, which aligns it accordingly.