From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 1:31 PM
To: SIRIGINA Saraswathi; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Question on 'Return to Top"

There is no parameter to turn this feature on, but you can do it with a
customization.

If you are using <section> elements, then this customization will do it.
I provided versions for both chunked and non-chunked HTML.  Just
uncomment the one you want to use and put it in your customization
stylesheet.

<!-- Use this version for <section> in chunked output -->
<!--
<xsl:template name="section.titlepage.before.recto">
  <xsl:variable name="level">
    <xsl:call-template name="section.level"/>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:variable name="chunkfn">
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="chunk-filename" select="."/>
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:if test="$level &gt; $chunk.section.depth">
        <xsl:text>Return to top</xsl:text>
      </a>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>
-->

<!-- Use this version for <section> in nonchunked output -->
<!--
<xsl:template name="section.titlepage.before.recto">
  <xsl:variable name="top-anchor">
    <xsl:call-template name="object.id">
      <xsl:with-param name="object" select="/*[1]"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:variable>

        <xsl:text>Return to top</xsl:text>
      </a>
</xsl:template>
-->

They both make use of the placeholder template named
'section.titlepage.before.recto'.
This template is called just before the template that generates a
section title, so it will put the link to the top just before each
section title.  You can customize the look with CSS applied to the
class="returntotop" selector.

If you are using sect1, sect2, etc. instead of section, you will need to
create customized templates for sect1.titlepage.before.recto, and the
same for sect2, sect3, etc.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting