Re: [docbook-apps] PDF named destinations using FOP

Bob Stayton wrote:

But I'm still a bit discouraged with how poorly supported linking
between PDF files is with the current PDF readers.  I could not get
links between local PDF files working if they included fragment
identifiers.  If there is a fragment identifier, then the PDF output
has "/URI (myfile.pdf#frag)". If you try to browse this locally with
Acrobat Reader, it thinks you want http://myfile.pdf#frag, which does
not work.  I tried various combinations of file: protocols, but none
worked for me on Windows XP.  I could only get fragment identifiers
to work if I used an absolute URL to a file I installed at that
address on my website.  Not very flexible.

AFAIK fragment identifiers work only if you are browsing PDF files using Acrobat Reader Control which is placed inside browser windows. This is usual behaviour when you follow PDF link from web-page. This works also on local machine, probably because web browser created absolute URI from relative one and this passes to Acrobat Reader.

Using this behaviour it is quite simple to implement things like link from HTML chunk to corresponding part in PDF version of same DocBook document.