Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Jirka,

I don't know enough about programming to respond to your concern over
XHTML 1.1 so I don't see any problems going for XHTML 1.0. Any
problems going with the "strict" recommendation, or should we stick
with "transitional".

> > 5. The only DIV to be created inside the main content will be for
> > admonitions, sidebar and highlights.
>
> Why? That way you will not be able to control rendering of whole section
> or titlepage for example. Current stylesheets wrap these structures
> inside <div class="section"> or <div class="titlepage"> respectively.

>From a web standards perspective, the only real reason to add DIVs is
when you need separate content from the normal flow.

For instance, with all due respect to developped the stylesheets, I
don't understand the logic of using the <div class="titlepage"> or the
are three DIVs inside each other, without any apparent usefulness to
any of them. Yes, you can style or control rendering, but in my
opinion there are better, more clever ways around this than putting
DIVs and SPANs everywhere. If anything, controlling style and
rendering gets increasingly confusing as you add DIVs. While I am
certain that we will add DIVs as this process develops, for the moment
I would rather strip all DIVs as a "guiding principle" unless there is
an obvious need to separate the content from the flow.

Anyhow, that is my take on it. Thanks for you input,
Rene