Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

> My view.
>   Keep it simple, very simple. Omit all the class attributes, nested
> divisions, etc etc.
>   I.e. all content is part of the normal flow.

I don't understand how you will apply styles if there is no way to select
content in CSS.  It will certainly be simple, but it won't be styled.  8^)

I guess I thought the goal of this project was to create an XHTML that could
be completely controlled by a CSS.  In the current XHTML/HTML output, that
is not the case because some styles are hard coded in deference to those who
don't normally use CSS.  But if we create an XHTML that is explicitly
dependent on CSS for styling, then we can use the full power of CSS.

I agree that complexity should be moved from the XHTML to the CSS, but we
need the hooks in the XHTML to apply the CSS, no?   The div elements serve a
purpose in creating a structure in the XHTML that CSS can work with.  Since
CSS styles can cascade down through the structure, you can set styles at the
appropriate level and override them as needed in lower levels.  I agree that
we should eliminate div elements that don't serve that purpose, but I can't
see removing them all.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting