Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Dave Pawson wrote:
On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 10:40 -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:

 The div elements serve a
purpose in creating a structure in the XHTML that CSS can work with.  Since
CSS styles can cascade down through the structure, you can set styles at the
appropriate level and override them as needed in lower levels.  I agree that
we should eliminate div elements that don't serve that purpose, but I can't
see removing them all.

What use cases do you see then Bob?

See my last email for an instance that just happened to me recently.

Mine is very plain HTML, if viewed in a browser.
  Not exiting visually, I agree.

Having extra nested divs doesn't make your output any less plain. On the other hand, they allow me to create fancier pages with extra non-content images in weird places, which I do need for my current project. Removing most of the style-less divs wouldn't affect your code either way, but would make mine much harder to deal with. :-)

(Note: That's not intended as a slam against you in any way, in case it came off as such. I'm just pointing out that simple-page folk don't lose functionality with the divs there while complex-page folk do lose functionality without them.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it." -- Thomas Jefferson