Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook production / catalogs with SubVersion?

Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem correctly, but why pull the flat files out of svn as they're being processed? Assuming that they won't change during the compilation, wouldn't an ant-run routine that does the following be sufficient:

- svn update the current version of the files
- extract SQL->XML files (optional if they're as rare as you say)
- start processing the master DocBook file
- Go get coffee while it compiles

XInclude or not, I believe the entire document needs to be parsed at once before processing begins, so you'll need all the files in place anyway before the XSLT scripts can do their thing.

Chris Johnson wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking into using SubVersion to manage some of my docbook files.
It's a modular document made up of ~120 XIncluded files and a couple of
database extract (SQL -> XML) files. The flat files are edited
periodically (could be at any time), while the SQL -> XML extracts occur
when I get the go-ahead (~4-6 times a year).

I would like to manage the flat files with SubVersion, and use XML
catalogs to abstract the calls to SubVersion and the database SQL -> XML
process.

I envisage something like an Ant process:

- grab the the master XML file , which consists primarily of XIncludes.

- start processing the XIncludes using XML catalog - the XML catalog would abstract the XIncludes to both SubVersion for
the latest commits and to SQL -> XML extract process - assemble document - process document to produce HTML and PDF.

Does this sound feasible? Or is there an easier way to achieve this?

Any links to docs / faq's appreciated.

Chris

Chris Johnson

-- Larry Garfield AIM: LOLG42 larry@garfieldtech.com ICQ: 6817012

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it." -- Thomas Jefferson