Re: Docbook tools

> Dude, thanks, but my effort is negligible compared to the guys who
> wrote the major software.

	Not when you're brand new to the subject.  The software's no good
if you can't figure out how to get it working.

	But yes, the authors of the tools deserve a heartfelt Thank You as
well :).

> but rather to getting something that works out of the box.

	People don't realize just how important that is.

> Since Norm Walsh used to work for O'Reilly, and O'Reilly used to host
> the Davenport group, I thought they would have something they can
> offer to prospective authors.  Maybe not.

	They did, but the person maintaining that appearantly left
recently and there was some confusion as to what worked and what didn't.
I'm sure they'll get things straightened out soon, but in the meantime
these tools are very helpful.

> So, dude, tell me what your O'Reilly book is about!

	Programming Gnome applications.  The target audience will mostly
be Windows programmers looking to get into Linux development, so it
includes some introductory information on using the GNU toolset.  The SGML
source (and HTML versions) will be available free online once it's done
(like Havoc Pennington's book).

> It's quite open, really: I'm an astrophysicist, although I have
> frequently been on the verge of being defrocked becuase I like to hack
> a lot.

	I may be sending you a personal message later on... My original
"dream" was to go into Physics, but it was really hard to concentrate on
school when people will pay you $100+/hour to develop (read: Hack) under
Linux/Unix. I'm thinking about going back to school to get into Physics
again...

Thanks,
Derek