Re: Re : db2??????? vs. SGMLTools2 vs. what else?

Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> * Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> wrote:
> > My distribution will be used by Caldera OpenLinux and KDE project. I'm
> > proposing to make it the standard docbook-tools as well, if you
> > agree. Just let me know.
>
> Could you be so kind and put the package up on ftp? Maybe also as tar.gz
> for all of us without a RPM-based Linux (or Linux at all). You should

Caldera is a RPM-based distribution, so my packaging will probably be
only profitable for those with RPM-based distributions, like the current
DocBook tools that only offer a mirror of the source packages for those
without RPM. Furthermore, I have been told the Debian project already
did a very clean packaging of its own (seeking a greater compatibility
with them could also be a concern, BTW).

Of course the new db2* scripts do not depend on the packaging and I can
send them to you.

I don't want to put anything on KDE's ftp before I know my help proposal
is accepted or refused here : as David said, there's no need to multiply
the distributions.

> also contact the Debian Project which might also be interested in this
> (you will probably at least get some help in packing this up as
> Debian-Package, which would be nice to have for a "standard
> docbook-tool"). Also SuSE might be interested, since they have such
> scripts of their own.

Sure, we should at least seek a common directory layout.

I think the reference version is here at the DocBook tools, so I won't
start anything on my own before Mark gives his advice on the topic.

> I would also decide on a new name for the tools, all this db2something
> is quite confusing. What about "doctool"?

Currently, the docbook-stylesheets package from the docbook-tools
includes three things :
1 - Norman Walsh's modular stylesheets
2 - the db2* and install-catalog scripts
3 - some "glue" files like "cygnus-common.dsl"

I think that (1) has to be packaged separately for modularity reasons, I
suggest to rename (2) the "docbook-utils" (only a component of the
docbook-tools), and to get rid of (3) because this kind of files imply a
lot of assumptions on the way you are working.

--
Eric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for Business!