Re: (docbook-tools) Re: db* does it serve the purpose

* Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> wrote:
> Having "db --format=html" or "db2html" is almost the same
> (less letters in the second one). If there is a big
> pressure, I will merge db2html, db2pdf, db2rtf and db2ps
> together, but this will result in an incompatibility with
> previous docbook-tools :-(.

You could symlink "db" to "db2html" and such, than look at $0 to see how
the script was called and act accordingly. SuSE does it this way too. A
single script seems to make sense to me, since it's just simpler to hack
on.

> "--converter" flag seems more interesting to implement. I
> must admit that I don't know openjade. It's a kind of
> rewriting of Jade, no ? Can someone explain me in private
> how you call it usually ? (executable name, are options
> names and semantics identical to jade ?) Users normally only
> use only one out of them, no ?
>
> "--nochunk" looks suspicious to me. Isn't it something you
> are supposed to cusstomize through an alternate stylesheet ?
> Then you would better use "db2html --dsl nochunk.dsl", no ?

Well, if this wrappers are meant for DocBook with jade only, one could
stay with "--nochunk", I think. "--dsl nochunk.dsl" is more generic but
also more verbose. That's not far away from calling jade directly
anymore. Maybe just supply "--nochunk" as a shortcut?

> I have been sending the new db2* scripts to the connectiva
> list. If people feel like hacking them, why not ? Or they
> can give suggestions that I will implement.

I've some trouble with my email adresses right now, so I haven't
subscribed to the new list yet (and I haven't got around to post the
list announcement, too - tommorow).

If you could put the new scripts on ftp somewhere? I could offer some
space if necessary, just upload them to ftp.revier.com/incoming and I
set up a cron-job for moving them to a directory accessible for anon-ftp
(say /pub/sgml/scripts/).

        Jochem