Re: images in Docbook with Red Hat 6.2

Jochem Huhmann <joh@gmx.net> writes:

> The actual problem (as so often with this stuff) is to make it easy to
> use from a documentation writers point of view. Actually we don't need
> any tools, we do need jade and stylesheets and DTD's and a Makefile.
> Period.
>
> Someone who just wants to write and convert docs needs simple, straight,
> well-documented tools with a man-page. With some commandline options or
> with a GUI and with simple configuration files, with reasonable defaults
> in /etc and his own in $HOME to override this. We should try to keep
> that in mind. Tell these people about entities and driver files and such
> and they won't use that at all.

We work this way:

1. Linux platform
2. DocBook and OpenJade or DocBook and other converter
3. All pictures are in TIFF format (better quality)
4. Emacs + PSGML as editor (choose whatever you want. This gave us the
   easiness we needed to have plus an automation on validation of the
   document --- and syntax highlighting)
5. NFS for stylesheet and some common scripts --- I'm changing this to
   be a package now...
6. ImageMagick package (because of the graphical conversion tools)
7. teTeX

Our makefile is called by a script in a command line that looks like
this:

$ compiles document format [stylesheet -- optional] [converter -- optional]

document is the SGML document, format is one of the supported output
formats of Jade/OpenJade (mif, html, jadetex, ...) or a combination of
them (PS, DVI, ASCII, ...). Stylesheet is an optional stylesheet to be
used and converter is used to choose between Jade and OpenJade, being
OpenJade the default.

When I choose "PS" backend, the script runs something similar to

for i in `ls directory/images/tiff/*.tiff` ; do
    convert directory/images/tiff/$i directory/images/eps/`basename $i .tiff`.eps
done

and then call the Makefile with the correct options (runs
collateindex, runs openjade, runs jadetex 3 times, runs dvips and
finally calls gv).

Authors use the <mediaobject> option to insert figures (as I've sent
before on this list).

We have no problems here (more than 20 people writing documents and books)...

PS:. We are in the process of changing some steps described, but this
     works perfectly.

Regards,
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>

Departamento de Publicações
Publishing Department                   Conectiva S.A.