Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>

> Still, TeX and LaTeX still exist. They are thoroughly documented. They run the
> same way everywhere. They look ghe same everywhere. So while they are not the
> be-all and end-all of structured document design, they'll have to do, since the
> SGML crowd has committed collective suicide. A pity, that.

This is just a variant of the classic complaints about Unix: I just want to
do X, but the docs don't tell me how. LaTeX is a single tool that does it
all, to use sgml you have to use a set of tools, and you can mix and match
them. You can use jade without docbook or norm's style sheets, you can use
jadetex without using docbook, the db2* scripts are so optional most people
write their own, and you don't have to use emacs to edit sgml, but it helps.

As for the sgml crowd committing suicide, judging from the increased traffic
on the oasis docbook lists, which led to a split into two still very busy
mailing lists this spring, and the increasing number of open source projects
whos docs appear to be docbook generated, I'd say people are perservering and
getting the job done.

Sam