Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...

* $ from ndw@nwalsh.com at "6-Jul:12:21pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
*
* / Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org> was heard to say:
* | That puzzles me too. Even Norm Walsh's so-called "Docbook" book
* | reads as if it were a briefly written summary written in a foreign
* | language to be as terse as possible.
*
* <sigh/> I'm sorry you found it to be that way. That wasn't the intent.
* Although the bulk of the book is intended as a reference and not a
* how-to, the introductory chapters were supposed to be readable by the
* novice. Can you explain, in any more detail, what you found most
* troubling?

I didn't find anything really wrong with the book... A few additions would have
helped...

  A reference card of the hierarchy of markups---this was what I used the book
for the most initially.

  More stylessheet specfic text, perhaps including some more examples of
different stylesheets for print/HTML and how they can change the outlook of the
whole doc. While you're trying to document docbook, people are most likely to
be using Jade/your stylesheets to produce the output. I've hacked mine and
still can get what I'm (visually) looking for. I guess the limitation is in the
generalities of DocBook, since I could get it if I was using raw LaTeX.

  More details on linking documents, I've got 6 docs that I'm writing in
parallel and would really like to link between them. I gave up.

*
*
*                                         Be seeing you,
*                                           norm

richard.

Richard Offer           Widget FAQ --> http://reality.sgi.com/widgetFAQ
MTS-Core Design (Motif)