Re: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

> Again, a symptom, In the document "A Practical Introduction to DocBook",
> the Tools section contains the following blatant cop-out:
>
> "Unfortunately, installing and configuring DocBook Tools is
> (currently) outsidethe scope of this document."
>
> Anyone not already eyebrow-deep in the dysfunctional culture surrounding
> this software would realize that this lacuna makes the rest of the
> chapter a bad joke.

Your problem installing the tools seemed (as I read back through the
thread) to be one of finding a mirror that was bad. Once you found a
mirror which contained the RPMs needed are we to assume the
installation went according to plan?

If so, I would say you found help rather easily (through this list)
and it is indeed outside the scope of the document I pointed you
to.(If you want the packages for Debian please 'apt get' them)

Now you will find that such a document - and Norm's book will give you
a fine introduction on how to create a DocBook document. Is this
correct?

After that you need to find out how to use the scripts - correct? Well
the document I sent you to *has* each script and how to use it. That
*was* within the scope... or did you stop reading after the
installation section?

Can all of this be improved for the newbie - it sure can. In fact new
scripts or even applications can be written. You are a hacker, would
you like to write them? Can I assume the answer is no?

It is very easy to blame the SGML community for the problems inherent
to understanding the technology, it is not as easy to lend a hand. Why
is that? Do hackers think that documentation tools are beneath them
until they actually have to use them?

Slamming someone's book certainly cannot help you learn can it?
Especially when you are talking about someone who has put more into
bringing SGML/XML into the open source community than even he might
realize. Would you rather him not have written *any* book?

I say 'kudos' to Norm for the following:

1) Keeping DocBook moving and up to date with the trends of writing
   for computer documentation

2) Keeping two sets of fully functional stylesheets (DSSSL and XSL)
   applicable to DocBook and ready to use 'out of the box'.

3) Convincing a company to publish a *free* book on DocBook

4) Taking his time to write said book

5) Keeping the reference documentation up to date (have you seen the
   quick guide reference section? I use it everyday and I know most of
   the tags in docbook)

6) Finally, doing all of this in a cross platform, open source model.

Oh, and lets not forget the fact that even though he eclipses me in
the number of mailing lists he is on, he still answers every personal
question I have ever sent (and probably everyone else's). Can you find
an equivalent figure in the open source community?

I would say that this person is following the model presented in the
'Cathedral and the Bazaar' rather closely - are you?

Dave

--

David Mason
Red Hat Advanced Development Labs