Re: Request for Redhat-Centric info (For Ed Bailey) [NEVERMIND]

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Chuck Mead spewed into the bitstream:

CM>On 7 Jul 2000, Edward C. Bailey spewed into the bitstream:

CM>ECB>Tom> Ed, Since from your recent mail to the list, it appears that RH is
CM>ECB>Tom> using Docbook without too much pain, could you detail the current
CM>ECB>Tom> RPM's needed to create and process Docbook documents, from SGML to PS,
CM>ECB>Tom> PDF, and HTML.
CM>ECB>
CM>ECB>Tom> This is not a request for the "how", just a list of the required
CM>ECB>Tom> RPM's, so I can tell if I have everything I need installed.
CM>ECB>
CM>ECB>Dammit -- that's what I got for not lurking... :-)
CM>ECB>
CM>ECB>Well, let's see...  Here's what I'm currently using:
CM>ECB>
CM>ECB>docbook-3.1-4
CM>ECB>jade-1.2.1-9
CM>ECB>jadetex-2.7-2
CM>ECB>psgml-1.0.3-2
CM>ECB>sgml-common-0.1-8
CM>ECB>stylesheets-1.54.13rh-1
CM>
CM>So... after you installed these what did you have to fix to make db2html work
CM>properly? I've just spent the best part of 6 hours messing about with trying to
CM>get an html doc to build and it is a no go! Clues?

Found the problem...

somehow... sgml-tools-1.0.9-5 had gotten installed on my system... probably
while I was mucking around trying to get stuff to work... I removed it along
with everything else and reinstalled only the rpm's you've referenced here and
everything works fine...

FYI... the reason I'm trying to get this going again (Ed... I'll bet you recall
that I did have it going once before :-) is that I'm planning to write a simple
doc describing how to install and use docbook on Linux to create real
documents... I apologize to the sgml gods in advance 'cause I don't know squat
about sgml but I've created quite a few doc's using the docbook tools and
that's what I'm going to talk about! I should have an initial version up in a
few days... when the first draft is ready it will appear at:

http://linuxguru.com/docs/docbook/

BTW... it you check there now you will find the following:

Index of /docs/docbook

   Name                    Last modified       Size  Description

   Parent Directory        09-Jul-2000 10:42      -
   RPMS/                   09-Jul-2000 11:07      -
   SRPMS/                  09-Jul-2000 11:07      -
   sources/                09-Jul-2000 11:06      -

Where you will find the stuff that Ed has referenced above all in one
place! :-)

--
Chuck Mead, CTO, LinuxMall.com
csm@LinuxMall.com