Re: 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:22:05PM +0200, Peter Toft wrote:
>I have had many good hints from this list, hence I try
>again.
>
>I have 6 Linux books written in DocBook, and each of
>them have their seperate index. However it could be
>cool if I could make a mega-book containing the 6 books
>+ one joint mega-index :)

I consider myself a docbook dummy, having only been working with it for a
few months so there may be better ways to handle this.  The way we do it
here is to have each chapter/article in its own directory, with the body of
the text in a file body.sgml, and a wrapper file that sources that file
with the appropriate declarations to format it as a separate article.

These directories are all in a parallel directory structure, and when I
want to create a book, it gets its own directory, parallel to the
individual chapters.  There's a wrapper file in that directory that has
ENTITY declarations for each chapter referring to the body of each chapter
as ../chapname/body.sgml.  I have a script that's derived from one of
Eric's docbook-utils which processes docbook input appropriately with
collateindex to create the html, postscript, etc. output.  The script also
has an option to create a single html file using ``nochunks'' in addition
to the normal multi-file structure because I often find it easier to work
with a single file in a browser than be constantly paging around since I
can search or print the whole document in one operation.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Never do your enemy a minor injury.''