The DocBook XML dtd, XML:FO and .pdf's

Has anyone had any luck inserting .pdf's into a docbook document using
the XML version of the DocBook DTD as one can with the SGML version?

I'm using Norm's DocBook XML DTD version 3.1.7, fop 0.14.0 with the most
recent versions of Xalan. Here's what I get when I attempt to do that:

java -Dorg.xml.sax.parser=org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLine reqs-fop.fo reqs-fop.pdf
FOP-0_14_0
using SAX parser org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
using renderer org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFRenderer
using element mapping org.apache.fop.fo.StandardElementMapping
using element mapping org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping
using property list mapping org.apache.fop.fo.StandardPropertyListMapping
using property list mapping org.apache.fop.svg.SVGPropertyListMapping
building formatting object tree
WARNING: Unknown formatting object
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^inline
setting up fonts
formatting FOs into areas
 [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7Error while creating area : Error while loading
image
 file:uc1.pdf : class java.lang.ClassCastException -
java.io.BufferedInputStream

Anyone get this to work? Any workarounds for inserting figures into
documents? Thanks in advance.

Bill