Solved it! (was Re: .pdf generation error using the "newer" tools)

Until Eric prepares a new jadetex package there is a straightforward
solution to the pdfjadetex problem for the current Cygnus package
jadetex-2.20-4.noarch.rpm.

(1) jadetex-2.20-4.noarch.rpm is missing 7 important files which are in the
equivalent Debian package and also in the upstream source.  These files are
required in order to make it possible to reformat jadetex and pdfjadetex with
reasonable resources.

Go to http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex and obtain jadetex-2.20.zip.
This is the clean source of the package which presumably is also part of the src
rpm as well.

(2) unzip that file, and copy the following files to somewhere in the
/usr/share/texmf/tex/ tree.

jadetex.ini
pdfjadetex.ini
dummyels.sty
mlnames.sty
ucharacters.sty
uentities.sty
unicode.sty

I would suggest a good location is /usr/share/texmf/tex/jadetex.

(3) Create the following special fmtutil configuration file in the same directory
# jadefmtutil.cnf: configuration file for fmtutil; jade flavor.
#                  invoke with 'fmtutil --cnffile <file> --all'
#
# format	engine  pattern-file    arguments
jadetex		tex	language.dat	&latex jadetex.ini
pdfjadetex	pdftex	language.dat	&pdflatex pdfjadetex.ini

***************
N.B. I have asked Eric to do steps 1-3 or some equivalent in the next
version of his jadetex rpm.  But until he does this, you will have to do
these steps yourself.  However, to keep things simple I have also
recommended to him that the user does the following steps himself rather
than automating them with the package.
***************

(4) edit /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf to give reasonable resources for
jadetex and pdfjadetex. Here are the resources that I find give good results
for 100+ pages of documentation.

hash_extra.jadetex  = 32500
hash_extra.pdfjadetex  = 32500
pool_size.jadetex = 500000
pool_size.pdfjadetex = 500000
string_vacancies.jadetex = 45000
string_vacancies.pdfjadetex = 45000
max_strings.jadetex = 58500
max_strings.pdfjadetex = 58500
pool_free.jadetex = 47500
pool_free.pdfjadetex = 47500
nest_size.jadetex = 500
nest_size.pdfjadetex = 500
param_size.jadetex = 1504
param_size.pdfjadetex = 1504
save_size.jadetex = 10000
save_size.pdfjadetex = 10000
stack_size.jadetex = 1503
stack_size.pdfjadetex = 1503
extra_mem_bot.jadetex = 85000
extra_mem_bot.pdfjadetex = 85000

(5) execute

texhash

This allows kpsewhich (which is used by fmtutil to find files) to find the
new files you have copied or created in /usr/share/texmf/tex/jadetex.

(6) reformat jadetex and pdfjadetex using the special configuration file for fmtutil
that you just created.

fmtutil --cnffile /usr/share/texmf/tex/jadetex/jadefmtutil.cnf --all

(Note fmtutil --all will reformat every other format file if you want to
enlarge resources for them as well with your revised texmf.cnf file)

With the above procedure I now have created a pdf version of my project's
documentation.

Hope this helps.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics