XRef link bug

Hi All

Not sure if this is still active but here goes:

While using docbook2pdf and xref links within the document I noticed
that the subsequent link created in the PDF contained a stray '>'

"the Section called Licence Configuration>"

After some investigation I found that if I omitted the '>' in the
following line

"<xref linkend=Licence_Configuration/>"

so that it read

"<xref linkend=Licence_Configuration/"

then the link would appear as it should, this, in turn, however made the
sgml invalid. Closing the xref tag using </xref> also broke the
converter.

Is this a bug or merely a feature?

My docbook versions on Fedora Core 5:

docbook-utils-0.6.14-5