RE: IndexTerm: why not See+ ?

Peter Ring wrote:
| I'm trying to figure out whether to add an attribute to
| let authors/mark-up'ers (what are they called?) indicate
| the preferred formatting of the resulting index entry for
| each IndexTerm, e.g., ordinary with page number, with a
| section number, with the contents of a title element, or
| whatever. I might just add a 'Format' attribute similar
| this one:
|
| Format  ( Default
|         | Page
|         | Section
|         | Title
|         | Whatever )  Default  -- Preferred format of index entry --
| or maybe just rely on context and processing to figure out
| how to present the reference.
|
| Experiences? Suggestions? Comments?

It is uncommon to see indices in which there are both page and
section references, let along page, section, and title references.
Normally one sees only one style.  So I would be inclined to set
this preference in the style sheet and not in the document markup
(relying on processing).  Note that while page numbers are familiar,
handy, and useful for print, you can't use them for an HTML
presentation of the same material, so it's desireable anyway to
set the format in the style sheet so you can have multiple
differing outputs.

regards, Terry