Re: IndexTerm: why not See+ ?

[Peter Ring:]

> In a broader context, indices are (can be seen as) cases of Topic
> Navigation Maps. Has anyone here dabbled with that?

Historical note: Topic Maps and DocBook emanated from the very same
Davenport committee.  The Topic Maps idea was so fascinating that some
people broke away from the Davenport group to pursue it under the
aegis of the GCA Research Institute.  I am delighted to have been
involved in the beginnings of both efforts.

Another note: it's now called Topic Maps ("Navigation" was dropped as
redundant).

> There's a final CD for a Topic Map standard, ISO 13250,
> http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/sc34/document/8.htm.

Actually it's soon to be published as a full-fledged ISO standard. The
final form of the text of the standard can be found unofficially at
http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0058.htm.  In the printed form,
it's only 27 pages long and it's fairly readable.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
srn@techno.com  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 231 4098
fax    +1 972 994 0087
pager (150 characters max): srn-page@techno.com