Re: Change Bars

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Monday 4 October 1999, at 9 h 8, the keyboard of Bob Van Valzah
> <Bob@WhiteBarn.Com> wrote:
>
> > What options do I have for generating change bars as I revise a DocBook
> > document?
>
> Hmmm, what are change bars?

At the time I format version 1.15, I'd like to be able to specify that the left
margin contain a vertical bar for lines (or paragraphs? or sections?) that've
changed relative to a prior version (say 1.13). This would let a reviewer who'd
seen version 1.13 focus only on what'd changed in version 1.15. By having the
complete document (instead of just the diffs) the changes can also be seen in
context.

> The proper place to put revision history seems to
> be <revhistory> but, with the revision control tool I use, CVS, there is
> apparently no simple way to put automatically the CVS log in <revhistory>. So,
> in the mean time, I just use <releaseinfo> with CVS variables like $Id$. In
> the future, may be a small Perl script to convert CVS log to SGML?

I was just wishing I had such a script the other day! Please post it if you write
one and I'll do the same.

Thanks,

    Bob